Sunday, June 2, 2013

Currently in June




HGTV.... our TV at home literally goes days without being changed.  Some go for the sappy love movies, some go for action packed films, some go for reality, Brandon & I, however, go for the Home and Garden TV.  Now, that's quality! :)

Summer Break! The last day of school with students was on May 24th.  We had work days all last week, which ended on June 1st.  Therefore, this girl is on SUMMER BREAK and that's not even the best part! The most exciting thing about this summer is that .... wait for it..... it is 3.months.long.!!!
That's right.  This last school year, we began school in early August, but the State has mandated that no school can begin before August 25th.  Because we started early, we finished early (May 24) and because of the new mandate, we start late (Aug. 26).  This means that this year, and I'm certain this is the only year, teachers and students are out for 3.Solid.Months.  We are currently on day 2 of 87.  B-LISS!

Just like Farley, my room will be used during summer.  Ugh.  This is beyond annoying!  In fact, it is down right irritating.  Summer Day Camp uses a wing of our school each year, this year, they are on my wing.  I totally get that they will not be in need of my room for the next three years, but I'm not worried about then... I'm ill about now.  :) So... I have locked up, strapped down, and even busted out the zip-ties.  I have one more bookcase to cover with butcher paper and we are set.  That is on tomorrow's Absolutely To Do list.

I do have a couple books that I want to read this summer, but in the amazing case that I finish them, I'm looking for any suggestions that my friends would like to share.... so let me know.  What books are you planning on reading this summer? Any genre: teaching, fiction, nonfiction... I'm game.

We have lived in our apartment for 5.5 years and the time has come.... that spare bedroom MUST get cleaned out and organized - right after I cover my bookcase and read the books you suggest.  :)

My 3 Vacay Essentials are: Sunglasses. Books. Sweet Tea.  I mean, who could not have a super summer day with these three items?  I mean, really.  The three of these items are what transforms everyday into a Vacay Day!




8 comments:

  1. I'm excited to be on break too!

    I'm so excited to do some summer reading too. I just knocked out one of the kids books on my list today (Lawn Boy) and started another (We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes) but I also need to get into some adult books. I have The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks sitting on my Kindle ready to go.

    Do you do goodreads? Sometimes I get good ideas that way.

    Happy Reading.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I meant to tell you that your link from the currently page isn't correct. It said I didn't have rights to access the page and it some really long URL that isn't your normal blog one. I just did a google search and found you so I could meet my commenting obligation :-)

      Delete
  2. Found you through Currently - great blog! I love it when I find middle grade teacher blogs; I do get some great ideas from the younger grades but nobody really understands this age group unless they teach it!

    Hooray for reading! Two FANTASTIC kids' books I've read recently are "The Running Dream" by Wendelin Van Draanen and "Breaking Stalin's Nose" by Eugene Yelchin - both excellent, and both fairly quick reads ("Stalin's Nose" is really short).

    I also have to give a shout out to my all-time favorite fiction work, "Gone With the Wind." Not a quick read, but an EPIC one. I'm hoping to read it for a third time this summer.

    Good luck strapping down your room! Our school isn't being used for summer school this year, but they are removing asbestos and scrubbing all of the walls, so they'll be a lot of ruckus in my classroom. I'm packing everything in boxes lined with garbage bags, and locking it all up in cabinets. Hopefully that will do the trick!

    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you through the linky party! I love it! It is such a good way to find amazing blogs to follow! No doubt about the Sweet Tea. It is a staple in North Florida! I love the design of your page. Where/What program did you use? I am a first year teacher, and I am hoping to bring my love of redesigning old furniture into the classroom. I work at a Charter School, and for some reason they strictly believe in digital storage. My poor binders are all over the place. A re-done bookshelf is definitely in order!

    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is soo cute! Love the chevron background :) Found you through Currently June. I'm your newest follower.

    Owl Always Love Teaching First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. My room has been used for summer school a few times. It is a lot of extra work to get ready for that! Hope you get to read lots of good books this summer. Have you ever seen the blog thebestendings.blogspot.com? Lots of book reviews from lots of teacher bloggers. It might give you some good ideas.
    Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again! I just noticed that Barbara designed your blog too. I love your blog header! the blue and green are nice with gray too. Welcome to blogging!
    Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three months off! Oh my lord, I'm so jealous:)). I have 11 more days before holidays start.
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!